Deb's Hives

Deb's Hives
Roxi's and Maybelle's Hives

Friday, February 10, 2012

Seed Time - Summer Garden Planting

Got a jump on my summer garden last weekend - planted 288 seeds including a number of varieties of Italian seeds that I've picked up during my last two trips to Europe.  Also a bunch of heirloom seeds that they don't offer locally - special order.

I know, I know - 288 plants are too many for my garden, but I'm not sure what my germination rates will be.  And, if I'm lucky, I'll have many to share with my green-thumbed friends, right?

My justification is that I'm in the process of building a distillation still so I can make my own essential oils - so I need a lot of plant material.

I even invested in a grow light and heated germination mat this year - the guys at Tom's monthly poker game got a laugh out of my setup.  It was interesting to note which friends thought that I was growing something illicit under those bright lights - and who didn't.  Somehow the distribution all made sense.




Check out what I've planted:
     Lavendar
     Lemon Balm
     Hibiscus - Red Thai Early
     Melone Supermarket
     Melone Cantalupo de  Charentais
     Pomodoro Pantano Romanesco
     Pomodoro Successo
     Pomodoro Ciliegio
     Zucchino Diamant
     Tomato Black Krim
     Tomato Tappy's Finest
     Genovesi Basil
     Detroit Dark Red Beet
     Touchstone Gold Beet
     Cal Wonder Red Peppers
     Black Beauty Egg Plant
     Lavender Vera
     Purple Cone Flower

No comments:

Post a Comment