Deb's Hives

Deb's Hives
Roxi's and Maybelle's Hives

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Time to Move

I've been struggling the last couple of months with the location of my hives.  As you recall, they currently overlook a beautiful duck, fish, and turtle-filled pond between the 15th and 16th hole of a Audubon-certified golf course here in the Texas Hill Country.  It is truly an idyllic setting, though it's a real pain the the pitutie to get too.  I spend 10 minutes driving to the course, then schlepp all my bee stuff onto a golf cart, only to drive the cart another 10 minutes to reach the site.  It's not too bad on a beautiful spring-like day, but in August - when the high temperature breaks the 100 mark, it's brutal.  Worse yet, when I forget something and need to run home to get it - I usually don't.  The one time I forgot my gloves, I came home with 6 stings - yowza!

It would be ever so much nicer to have in my yard.  So home is where they shall be.  Tom - gratefully - is supportive of this and spent a good deal of time with me mapping out the best location in our yard.  It's important to consider things like - where the hives will get first morning sun, is it close to a good water source, and are the hives far enough away from weed wackers and other equipment that makes a lot of noise.   Sweet Tom - even went with me to Home Depot today and picked up supplies to make the hive bases - AND he installed them this afternoon!

Now the next big decision - when to actually move them.  I think I'll move Roxi's hive over first since it's a lot more docile than Maybelle's hive.  Once I get Roxi and her girls settled, I'll deal with Maybelle - ugh - not looking forward to that!

No comments:

Post a Comment